Under the limited supervision of the Senior Vice President, Organizational & Executive Development Services (OEDS), the Vice President (OEDS) is responsible for the direction and management of Boys & Girls Clubs of America’s services in the respective region. The Vice President, OEDS, will be responsible for providing direction in support of the assessment of organizational needs, the design, implementation and evaluation of services that facilitate the organizational development, and the sustained progress of local Boys & Girls Clubs. This position will be responsible for implementing consultation services that deliver on key objectives: building effective Boards with greater leadership, ensuring a stronger Club organization with staff skilled in leadership, increasing dynamic programs and outcomes, and increasing organizational resource development capacity. The position leads a team of directors as well as managing relationships with content experts in other functions through a matrix structure.
Provide Accountable Leadership to Autonomous Organizations
· Serve as BGCA’s primary point of contact for providing direct consultation and support services to organizations in the region.
· Establish partner relationships with Chief Professional Officers, Senior Leadership Team members, Chief Volunteer Officers, and Board members in assigned service area and conduct orientations on services and resources available from BGCA.
· Assist Clubs in increasing the resources available to achieve their strategic goals with an emphasis on increasing individual giving.
· Provide leadership and advice to assigned Area Council(s) and Area Council leadership. Ensure continuity of leadership for assigned councils. Secure leadership for the National Area Council Committee.
· Assure and monitor the compliance of BGCA membership requirements and operating standards with member organizations in the region.
· Promote child safety priorities and resources to local organization within the scope of this position; report any observed or suspected child safety concerns directly to the organization’s leadership and to the appropriate BGCA senior leader.
· Conduct Child & Club safety assessments, as determined by Child & Club Safety. Submit and monitor organization-specific remediation plans with local Club leaders.
· Upon request, respond immediately to local Child Safety situations.
Increase Organizational Capabilities
· Ensure the development of annual organizational improvement plans for all organizations assigned to the region.
· Develop partnerships and consulting strategies that drive sustained organizational capacity building.
· Assure and direct/provide the delivery of Boys & Girls Clubs of America’s management support services to member organizations in the region.
· Ensure the continuing strengthening of the region’s member organizations’ capacity to carry out their mission.
· Create and maintain highest level of customer service relationship with professional and volunteer leadership of assigned Clubs.
· Ensure the delivery of risk assessments, safety audits, and training and resources on Club and Child Safety
· Ensure that all organizations in the region complete the required measurement and assessment processes (Key Performance Indicators, Standards of Organizational Effectiveness, and Formula for Impact Assessment) and that all organizations have an organizational service plan in place.
· Promote attendance of organizations’ leaders in assigned service area for appropriate learning opportunities including Regional, National and Board Leadership Conferences.
· Develop, implement, and support the professional development plans for Chief Professional Officers and key management staff.
· Provide facilitative leadership in the assessment of board and organizational capacity and work with key board leadership on building and enhancing board development process.
· Where applicable, develop and implement strategies for board transformation which may include board recruitment.
· Provide consultative and technical assistance and the coordination and alignment of the use of field consultants, technical consultants, and services delivered by BGCA subject matter experts to Boys & Girls Clubs in assigned service area.
· Provide and facilitate executive coaching to assigned CPOs as needed.
· Provide facilitative leadership and support to Boards of Directors in filling Chief Professional Officer positions in the region.
· Ensure the proper orientation, onboarding, and mentoring of new Chief Professional Officers.
· In partnership with Club leaders, provide support and guidance in strategic planning to facilitate organizational advancement in key performance areas.
Build Collective Brand and Fundraising Capacity
· Assess and ensure appropriate leadership and guidance to organizations in developing a deeper understanding of resource development required to raise diverse resources to achieve strategic goals.
· In partnership with Resource Development and Marketing & Communications, develop other revenue generating partnerships such as cause-related marketing, statewide funding initiatives, and market-specific funding initiatives.
· Support the development of funding proposals.
· Support the Government Relations staff in securing state alliance funding for states within the region; serve on state alliance boards as deemed necessary.
· Ensure the engagement of national trustees in understanding mission and scope of services for member organizations and the benefits to youth.
· Provide consultation to organizations in their preparedness to handle crisis and assist them with managing such crises. Coordinate/facilitate Boys & Girls Clubs of America staff in the development of BGCA’s response to the Club’s crisis.
· Serve as advocate for children and their needs and as an ambassador for the Boys & Girls Club Movement.
Increase Impact and Measure Outcomes
· Assess and ensure appropriate leadership to each organization in developing and implementing a programmatic outcome- driven Club experience and measurement strategy with daily data that drives the Formula for Impact.
· Promote the use of national programs.
· Assure successful Youth of the Year programs are conducted throughout the region and a Youth of the Year regional finalist is selected.
Support Strategic Growth
· Provide on-site and off-site support and technical assistance to organizations assuring the establishment of new, self-sustaining Boys & Girls Club sites in accordance with BGCA requirements for membership.
· Provide guidance and consultation to organizations in developing a plan to recruit and retain members and a plan to increase average daily attendance (ADA).
· Develop a strategic growth map with organizations to determine potential new sites.
· Develop a plan for mergers and facilitate discussions where appropriate and feasible.
Align Core Services and Organizational Priorities
· Advocate on behalf of organizations within the region with external and internal customers.
· Promote/Protect the BGCA brand.
· Guide and support organizations in the advancement of BGCA’s strategy/national priorities.
Manage Business Operations of Service
· Hire, train, supervise, evaluate and develop assigned staff according to BGCA’s policies and procedures, consulting supervisor and appropriate Human Resources staff as indicated.
· Assure active participation by national and local staff on Regional and National Diversity Committees, TAPDAC, and other groups as required.
· Engage in positive partnerships with member organizations in the region and promote a culture of legendary customer service and highest ethical standards.
· Create a regional office and team culture of cross-departmental functioning assuring seamless service delivery to Clubs.
· Support assigned National Area Council Committee members through ongoing interactions and communications.
· Plan and manage the regional budget.
· Conduct one face-to-face meeting annually; as part of visit, validate core standards/priorities and develop remediation plans as needed.
· Assure and monitor the effective and efficient management and operations of the Regional Service Center.
· Conduct and/or participate in state, regional, and national staff meetings and conferences.
· Lead special projects or national assignments as required by Senior Vice President, Organizational and Executive Development Services.
· Work with Resource Development team as needed in trustee/governor cultivation and development, donor calls and relations with prospects or funders, and participate in trustee meetings.
· Demonstrate BGCA mission driven I*CARE values, and integrate these beliefs into our environment and ways of work
· Adhere to organizational policies and procedures as described in BGCA’s Employee Handbook, Ethics Policy and elsewhere.
· Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, or social services or education or other related field required.
· Eight to ten years’ experience in the management, administration and operation of a Boys & Girls Club (or similar organization).
· Demonstrated successful experience with board development and management, resource development, and supervising and developing staff.
· Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, internet research web-based applications and activities; and the ability to use laptops and other technology applications while traveling or from remote locations.
High energy level, comfortable performing multi-faceted projects in conjunction with day-to-day activities. Superior interpersonal abilities. Ability to get along with diverse personalities, at all times displaying tact, maturity, and flexibility. Good reasoning abilities and sound judgment
Environmental and Working Conditions
Normal internal office environment. Travel estimated at 45-50% (can be up to 9– 11 days or more in a month – including weekends - depending upon scheduling requirements). The individual selected for this position must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and be able to navigate areas of the country by using a map or other direction methods. Must be physically able to travel by air, car, train, or other modes of transportation