Boys & Girls Clubs of America named "One of the Best Nonprofits to Work for in 2017" Indeed.com
Boys & Girls Clubs of America is the nation's premier youth development organization. Our programs, training and services impact nearly 4 million children and teens every year. We are always looking for qualified professionals with a passion for improving young lives as a member of our national staff. We have strong values, embrace diversity and offer great benefits to allow our employees to maintain work/life balance.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Communications, the Director of Editorial Content implements BGCA’s strategic
communication plan and master editorial calendar across all Movement communication channels. The right candidate for this job will be a versatile, multi-media savvy, and deadline-conscious planner with an eye for resonant content. This position will oversee editorial content and support channel adoption and user experience improvements for all Movement communication channels and plays a key role in advancing the organization’s Great Futures 2025 strategic plan.
The Movement is defined as the Boys & Girls Clubs of America (BGCA) and its Board of Directors, as well as the 4,300
independent Boys and Girls Clubs throughout the U.S. and their independent Board of Governors. Movement communication channels include but are not limited to blogs, conferences, email blasts, flyers, infographics, print collateral, electronic newsletters, Intranet content (BGCA.net), online communities, signage, webcasts, webinars, videos, toolkits, and town halls.
* Works with the Sr. Director and with cross-function communicators to develop a GOSIM and GF 2025-based annual Strategic Communication Plan and Master Editorial Calendar.
* Seeks agreement with other BGCA departments on timing and medium to be used to effectively coordinate and cascade messages to the Movement.
* Works closely with counterparts across communications, marketing, and cross-functional BGCA teams to execute multiple communication plans and create high impact yet concise content.
* Tracks internal and external BGCA-related events and milestones for relevant and timely content.
* Manages a targeted, multi-channel Master Editorial Calendar and corresponding production process and schedule to ensure content is published on time.
* Works with creative services to produce beautiful content and infographics that synthesize information in an easily
consumable and impactful way.
* Reviews content & deliverables to ensure they meet our brand and editorial quality standards.
* Creates a process for publishing content to all channels and content management systems.
* Owns the process for keeping content on the Movement Intranet up-to-date on a calendarized basis, including the home page. Supports BGCA.net content managers to publish & update content.
* Assists with executing a strategy to increase engagement on existing communications channels.
* Finds the most effective ways to get the right content, to the right audience, at the right time.
* Monitors analytics, shares summaries, and recommends ways to optimize effectiveness and impact.
* Uses data and other learnings to propose, test and establish new communications channels, content and tools that support Movement needs and organizational goals.
* Helps identify, test, and scale new solutions for additional communications channels.
* User focused, works with a wide range of internal and external clients and stakeholders to help Movement audiences find and consume the information they need in an intuitive way.
* Works to learn how users want to receive information; how BGCA can better engage them; what tools they prefer to utilize; and how to enhance two-way communication
Helps increase the reach and engagement with Club staff at all levels by utilizing technology solutions like a CRM system to target relevant, user-focused messaging for communications. * Stays current on data, trends and best practices as they relate to channels and user experience.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED • No direct Reports. May monitor and coordinate the work of temporary employees and student interns.
Education & Experience
* 10+ years of experience in content strategy, copywriting, editorial planning and development.
* Bachelor’s degree in a related field (communications, PR or journalism).
* Proficient in Microsoft Office suite and SharePoint.
* A superior writer and editor who is diligent about publishing accurate, interesting, quality content.
* Solid project management skills, able to stay organized and efficient while multi-tasking.
* Demonstrated success driving cross-functional teams toward the completion of a project or common goal. Diplomacy and problem resolution skills.
* Experience with content management systems and passionate about user experience and adoption.
* Strategic and results driven. Curious by nature, intrigued by solving problems, a change agent.
* Excellent interpersonal skills and collaborative team player with a “can-do” attitude.
* Demonstrated leadership skills, professionalism, ethical behavior, and decision-making.
* Works well under pressure with competing deadlines. Able to manage ambiguity.
* Demonstrates strong dedication to be a good steward of budget and donor dollars.
* Passionate about both what we do as an organization (Youth Development) and within our department (Marketing and Communications).
* Demonstrates BGCA mission-driven iCARE values of collaboration, accountability, respect and excellence
* Adheres to organizational policies and procedures as described in BGCA’s Employee Handbook, Ethics Policy and elsewhere
Ability to clearly and concisely exchange ideas, facts, technical information and direction, in person, by email and by
telephone. Physical requirements include: sight, sitting for at least four hours per day, stooping, grasping/motor dexterity skills, skills essential for successful communications, including speaking and writing.
Normal internal office environment. Travel estimated at approximately 10-15% (up to 2 - 5 days or more in a month,
depending upon scheduling requirements).