Under limited direction of the Senior Director, Partnership Marketing & Digital, the Director, Academic Success manages and executes public relations and marketing initiatives for the national office and local Clubs as these efforts relate to Academic Success programs, corporate partnership initiatives and other Boys & Girls Clubs of America youth development initiatives. This position provides ongoing support of the program/partnership to local Boys & Girls Clubs, the national organization and the corporate funder in the area of public relations and marketing. This position is currently funded by major corporate partners; continuation of the position is contingent upon the continuation of funding.
• Coordinate multi-market partnerships involving national, regional and local Club initiatives; collaborate with and leverage partner public relations and media assets.
• Conceptualize and provide relevant and well-thought out public relations strategies, ideas and opportunities, and be able to clearly present to partners and other stakeholders.
• Lead strategic PR efforts for premier corporate partnerships and provide PR counsel and support for select corporate partnerships. Serve as PR and marketing lead on internal teams.
• Oversee seamless implementation of high quality PR plans on behalf of BGCA and corporate partners. Provide public relations focus for and direct event logistics from conception through completion to include overall event evaluation.
• Deliver high level of media outreach and public relations execution, including developing and managing relationships with public relations agencies.
• Develop monthly update reports for partner, highlighting status of activities which proactively outlines public relations opportunities in advance each month.
• Support PR and marketing efforts for new business and new partner development in the area of Academic Success, in coordination with resource development and program and youth development services teams.
• Leverage and manage agency relationships for maximum result on behalf of corporate partnerships and BGCA initiatives.
• Serve as point of contact, manage and track the public relations portion of the budgets for identified partnerships. Provide periodic reports to Lead Director, Public Relations.
Academic Success Platform Development & Thought Leadership:
• Research and remain current with marketplace trends in public relations and marketing.
• Provide a holistic approach for internal and external awareness of Academic Success programs, the corporate partnerships sponsoring these initiatives, as well as for Boys & Girls Clubs.
• Research, review and maintain a database of contacts and noteworthy activities, including “success stories” in local Clubs related to Academic Success initiatives and other partner-sponsored programs. Develop materials to merchandise “success stories” internally and externally.
• Establish and maintain solid relationships with BGCA and Academic Success liaisons, and BGCA key media contacts and outlets to further program and brand visibility.
• Provide support and strategic guidance for BGCA cause marketing push periods, special initiatives (such as National Boys & Girls Club Week and Day for Kids) and strategic internal initiatives.
• Position BGCA as a leader in the areas of PR and marketing. Builds PR and marketing competency of BGCA team and Clubs via trainings and thought leadership.
• Assist with other duties/projects as assigned by Lead Director, Public Relations.
• Demonstrate BGCA mission-driven values of integrity, excellence and inclusion and integrate into work environment and ways of work.
• Adhere to organizational policies and procedures as described in BGCA’s Employment Handbook, Ethics Policy and elsewhere.
No direct Reports. May monitor and coordinate the work of temporary employees and student interns
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s degree (or education/experience equivalency), preferably in public relations, journalism, communications or related field.
• Minimum of five to eight years proven public relations and marketing experience, with a concentration in media relations, integrated marketing, event planning and project management, preferably in an agency environment.
• Ability to lead and think strategically. Demonstrate high standards of ethics and integrity. Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills. Strong verbal presentation and writing skills. Ability to work effectively with internal team members, professionals in the field and vendors. Strong media relations and PR skills to include high level media exposure and PR campaign execution. Thorough understanding of integrated marketing to provide added value to BGCA and partners. Proficiency in project management, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks and the ability to work effectively on multiple detail-oriented projects in a fast paced environment. Strong computer skills using Microsoft Office and other related technical tools
• Ability to clearly and concisely exchange ideas, facts, technical information and direction, in person, by email and by telephone. Physical requirements include: sight, sitting for at least four hours per day, stooping, grasping/motor dexterity skills, skills essential for successful communications, including speaking and writing.
ENVIRONMENTAL & WORKING CONDITIONS
• Normal Office Environment
• Travel estimated at approximately 15 - 20% (up to 3 - 5 days or more in a month, depending upon scheduling requirements).